The philosophy and mission of political Science discipline is to produce graduates with a critical mind, requisite ability and skill to analyse, comprehend, predict and influence the factors that shape and mold power relationships in an ever-changing socio-political environment in a globalizing world.
The main objectives of a degree in Political Science are:
- to provide training in the principles of political science and their application to the type of degree programme concerned – political economy, public administration or international relations.
- stimulate the students intellectually through the programme, in such a way that they appreciate social problems.
- to provide a solid foundation of knowledge about the workings of society and its institutions and develop the skills for the constructive use of such knowledge.
- to develop in students, the ability to apply the knowledge to the resolution of societal problems and conflicts.
- to develop in students, such skills and competency that would allow them to be self reliant and entrepreneurial
- provide the students with necessary skills for studying and analyzing society.
- provide the students with the skill-base from which they can proceed to higher studies in political science.
- to imbue in the students a deep appreciation of the political dynamics of society and the impact of this on wider socio-economic development and societal well being.
The vision statement of the Political Science and International Relations Programmes at Trinity University is to produce graduates with a critical mind, essential ability and skill to analyse, comprehend, predict and influence the factors that shape and mould men and power in the art of the governing of men and relations between and among nations of the world in an ever-changing global socio-political environment.
To create knowledge and restore the dignity of the black man via a Human Development-driven curriculum, which employs innovative, leading edge, teaching and learning methods, research and professional services that promote integrated, life-applicable and life-transforming education relevant to human capacity building