Adetunji Modupeade Christianah
Senior Lecturer- B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D
Visit Publication Page:
Google Scholar Page Reference:
Scopus Page Reference:
Basic Medical & Applied Sciences/ Biological Sciences
• Molecular Characterisation of Toxigenic and Pathogenic organisms in Foods
• Mitigation strategies for control of mycotoxins in foods, e.g. use of nano particles, biological control strategies etc.
• Screening for aflatoxins in foods using locally formulated media.
Membership of Professional Bodies
• Member, Society For Applied Microbiology (SFAM)
• Member, American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
• Member, Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST)
• Member, Mycotoxicology Society of Nigeria (MSN)
Awards & Honours:
- President Grant by the Society for Applied Microbiology (SFAM) United Kingdom to attend the 8th Congress of European Microbiologist (FEMS 2019), 07-11 July 2019, Glasgow, Scotland. (Grant worth- GBP 1500)
- Accommodation Grant by SFAM in collaboration with the Federation of European Microbiological Society (FEMS) towards the 8th FEMS 2019 congress (Grant Worth- GBP 300 )
- Support Grant by Faculty of Science and Technology ,North West University South Africa to attend the 58th Annual Meeting and Tox Expo of the Society of Toxicology, Baltimore 2019, 10th -14th March, 2019
- Travel Grant by National Research Foundation (NRF) South Africa to attend the 10th annual Conference of the World Mycotoxins Forum, “Taking Mycotoxins Control to the next level” at the Netherlands, Central Amsterdam, 12-14th March, 2018. Grant Holder: Prof. Mulunda Mwanza
- Post–Doctoral Fellowship Award by North- West University, South Africa, July 1st 2017- 30th June 2020.
- Travel grant by the International Committee for Food Microbiology and Hygiene (ICFMH) to attend the 22nd International ICFMH Symposium, Food Micro 2014 Nantes, France: 1st-4th September 2014
- Research Grant provided by VLIR-UOS, Belgium Government, August 27th-September 7th 2012 for Short Training Initiative within the North programme of VLIR-UOS Council-University Development Cooperation on Intensive Training on Mycotoxin Analysis @ Ghent University, Belgium
- Governor’s Honorary Award, Enugu State 2006/2007 (Best Corper for the Year 2007)
- Most Active Peer Educational Trainer (PET) on HIV/AIDS (2006)
Post Graduate Supervision: 3
- Modupeade C. Adetunji, Obinna T. Ezeokoli, Lubanza Ngoma, Mulunda Mwanza (2020). Phylogenetic diversity and prevalence of mycoflora in ready-to-eat supermarket and roadside -vended peanuts. Accepted for Publication in Mycologia Journal, Taylor and Francis, https://10.1080/00275514.2020.1804235
- Modupeade Christianah Adetunji, Shamsideen Olusegun Aroyeun, Michael B Osho, Michael Sulyok, Rudolf Krska & Mulunda Mwanza (2019). Fungal metabolite and mycotoxins profile of cashew nut from selected locations in two African countries, Food Additives & Contaminants: Part A, 36:12, 1847-1859, DOI: 10.1080/19440049.2019.1662951
- Adetunji, M.C., Ngoma, L., Atanda, O.O., Mulunda Mwanza (2019). A Polyphasic Method for Identification of aflatoxigenic aspergilla from cashew nut; World J Microbiol Biotechnol 35: 15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-018-2575-8
- Tshipamba Edoaurd Mpinda, Ngoma Lubanza,, Modupeade Christianah Adetunji and Mulunda Mwanza (2018). Molecular Characterization and Antibiotic Resistance of Foodborne Pathogens in Street Vended Ready -to -eat Meat in South Africa .Journal of Food Protection ,Vol. 81, No. 12, pp. 1963-1972
- Mpinda Edoaurd Tshipamba , Ngoma Lubanza, Modupeade Christianah Adetunji and Mulunda Mwanza (2018a). Evaluation of the Effect of Hygiene Practices and Attitudes on the Microbial Quality of Street Vended Meats Sold in Johannesburg, South Africa. Journal of Food: Microbiology, Safety & Hygiene (3):2, DOI: 10.4172/2476-2059. 1000137.
- Nancy Nleya, Modupeade Christianah Adetunji, Mulunda Mwanza (2018b). Current status of mycotoxin contamination of food commodities in Zimbabwe. Toxins , (10),89; 2-12 doi:10.3390/toxins10050089
- Modupeade .C. Adetunji , Lubanza, Ngoma, Olusegun Atanda and Mulunda, Mwanza (2018c). Microbiological Quality and Risk Assessment for Aflatoxins in Groundnuts and Roasted Cashew Nuts Meant for Human Consumption. Hindawi Journal of Toxicology, Article ID 1308748,1-11, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/1308748
- Tsepo Ramatla ,Lubanza Ngoma, Modupeade Adetunji and Mulunda Mwanza (2017). Evaluation of Antibiotic Residues in Raw Meat Using Different Analytical Methods, Antibiotics 6, 34; doi: 10.3390/antibiotics 6040034 www.mdpi.com/journal/antibiotics
- Modupeade C. Adetunji, Olusegun O. Atanda and Chibundu N. Ezekiel (2017). Risk Assessment of Mycotoxins in Stored Maize Grains Consumed by Infants and Young Children in Nigeria, Children, 4: 58; doi:10.3390/children4070058
- Oluwapelumi A. Oyedele, Chibundu N. Ezekiel, Michael Sulyok, Modupeade C. Adetunji, Benedikt Warth, Olusegun O.Atanda, Rudolf Krska, 2017. Mycotoxin risk assessment for consumers of groundnut in domestic markets in Nigeria. International Journal of Food Microbiology. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2017.03.020
- Michael Bamitale Osho, Tope Popoola, Tolulope Modupe Adeleye , Modupeade Christianah Adetunji, 2016. Response surface methodology for optimal immobilization of Aspergillus niger ATCC 1015 lipase by adsorption method. International Journal of Biological Research , 4 ( 1 ) :56-63 doi 10.14419/ijbrv4i1.6008 .
- Adetunji, M. C., Atanda, O. O, Ezekiel, C. N and Ogara, I. M. 2014. The distribution and mycotoxigenicity of fungal isolates of stored maize grains from five agro ecological zones of Nigeria, Mycotoxicology, 2014, 1: 19-28
- C.N. Ezekiel, M.C. Adetunji, O.O. Atanda, J.C. Frisvad, J. Houbraken and R.A. Samson, 2014. Phenotypic differentiation of species from Aspergillus section Flavi on neutral red desiccated coconut agar, World Mycotoxin Journal 7(3):335-344
- Adetunji, M.C., Atanda, O.O., Ezekiel, C.N., Dipeolu, A.O., Uzochukwu, S.V.A., Oyedepo, J.A. and Chilaka, C.A., 2014b. Distribution of mycotoxin and risk assessment of maize consumers from five agro-ecological zones of Nigeria. European Food Research Technoogyl, 239:287–296 DOI 10.1007/s00217-014-2221-0.
- Modupeade Adetunji, Olusegun Atanda, Chibundu N. Ezekiel, Michael Sulyok, Benedikt Warth, Eduardo Beltrán, Rudolf Krska , Olusegun Obadina, Adegoke Bakare and Cynthia A. Chilaka, 2014a. Fungal and bacterial metabolites of stored maize (Zea mays, L.) from five agro-ecological zones of Nigeria. Mycotoxins Research, 30 (2): 89-102.
- C.N. Ezekiel, I.E. Udom, J.C. Frisvad, M.C. Adetunji, J. Houbraken, S.O. Fapohunda, R.A. Samson, O.O. Atanda, M.C. Agi-Otto and O.A. Onashile, 2014. Assessment of aflatoxigenic Aspergillus and other fungi in millet and sesame from Plateau State, Nigeria, Mycology: An International Journal on Fungal Biology, 5 (1): 16-22.
- Atanda, O.O., Ogunrinu, M.C. and Olorunfemi, M.F., 2011. A neutral red desiccated coconut agar for the rapid detection of aflatoxigenic fungi and visual determination of aflatoxins. World Mycotoxin Journal, 2 (1): 147-156.
- Ogunrinu, M.C. and Atanda, O.O., 2010. Evaluation of the qualities of cookies baked from locally produced flour. In: Food Security for Peace and Sustainable Development in the Niger Delta. Book of Extended Abstracts of the 34th Annual Conference and General Meeting of the Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology, pp.134-135.
Conferece Attended/Paper Presentation:
- International E-Conference on COVID-19 Global Impacts, 20-21 July, 2020. Organized by the African –British Journals.
- Lecturer and Students’ E-Teaching and Learning Experience in Africa: The Edo University Iyamho, Nigeria case Study. A webinar organized by the Association of African Universities in association with Edo State University, Iyamho, July 27th, 2020
- The 8th Congress of European Microbiologist (FEMS 2019), 07-11 July 2019, Glasgow, Scotland.
- rican Countries • Inaugural Meeting of Stakeholders of the Africa Center of Excellence for Mycotoxin and Food Safety, 17-21 June 2019, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Niger State, Nigeria
- The 58th Annual Meeting and ToxExpo of the Society Of Toxicology, Baltimore 2019, 10th -14th March, 2019, held at the Convention Center, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Poster Presentation: Adetunji, M.C., Ngoma, L., Atanda Olusegun and Mwanza Mulunda (2019). A Polyphasic Method for the Identification of Aflatoxigenic Aspergilla from Cashew Nuts
- The 10th annual Conference of The World Mycotoxins Forum. “Taking Mycotoxins Control to the next level” at the Netherlands, Central Amsterdam, 12-14th March, 2018.
- Workshop on Responsible Conduct of Research and Laboratory Practices. October 13th - 17th 2017, North West University, Mafikeng campus; Hosted by Directorate of Food Safety Niche Area, North West University (Prof. Olubukola Babalola) in collaboration with Iowa State university, USA. Sponsored by National Research foundation (NRF) South Africa and North West University.=Instructors: Prof. Gwyn Beattie & Prof. Larry Halverson of Iowa State University, USA.
- Workshop on Phylogenetics Training, July 4th -7th 2017, Organized by Department of Animal Health, North West University, Mafikeng Campus.
- Trainer: Dr. Jane Wright (Iquaba Biotechnology Laboratory, South Africa)
- 10th Annual Conference/Workshop of the Mycotoxicology Society of Nigeria (MSN ‘IITA 2015’ Mycotoxins Control In Nigeria and Sub-Saharan Africa International institute of Tropical Agriculture(IITA) Conference Centre, Ibadan, Nigeria, 13th-15th July 2015.
- Paper Presented: M. C. Adetuniji , O. O. Atanda , C. N. Ezekiel , A. O. Dipeolu , S.V. A. Uzochukwu , J. Oyedepo , C. A. Chilaka (2015). Distribution of Mycotoxins and Risk Assessment of Maize Consumers in Five Agro-ecological zones of Nigeria Food Micro 2014, 1–4 September, Nantes, France.
- Paper Presented: Modupeade Christianah, Adetunji, Olusegun .O. Atanda, Chibundu .N. Ezekiel (2014). Storage practices and mycotoxin contamination of maize grains across the agro-ecological zones of Nigeria (poster presentation).
- 8th Annual Conference/Workshop of the Mycotoxicology Society of Nigeria (MSN), Mycotoxins Hazard, Management and its Regulation in Nigeria., Atiku Abubakar Auditorium, Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti, 24th-26th July, 2013.
- • Paper Presented: Modupeade Adetunji, Olusegun Atanda, Chibundu Ezekiel, Michael Sulyok, Benedikt Warth, Eduardo Beltrán, Rudolf Krska, Olusegun Obadina, and Adegoke Bakare (2013). Fungal and bacteria metabolites of stored maize from five Agro ecological zones of Nigeria
- Short Training Initiative within the North programme of VLIR-UOS Council-University Development Cooperation on Intensive Training on Mycotoxin Analysis, organized by Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Bioanalysis-Laboratory of Food Analysis, Ghent University, Belgium. Grant provided by VLIR-UOS, Belgium Government, August 27th-September 7th ,2012
- EU-ACP Regional Workshop for Early career Scientists & Researchers, organized by Natural Resource Institute (NRI), University of Greenwich and University of Agriculture Abeokuta (UNAAB), Nigeria, at Senate chamber UNAAB, 4th—8th July, 2011.
- 6th Annual Conference/Workshop of the Mycotoxicology Society of Nigeria (MSN), Management of Mycotoxins in crops and livestock, National Horticultural Research Institute (NIHORT), Idi-Ishin, Ibadan, Oyo state, Nigeria. June 22-24, 2011.
- Paper Presented: O.O. Atanda, O.O. Olowe and M.C. Adetunji (2011). Aflatoxin contamination of dietary sorghum sold in Middle Belt and Western Nigeria.
- Scientific writing, publishing and oral communication/ inception workshop, organized by: Association of African Universities (AAU) in collaboration with Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST) and A.G Leventis Memorial Centre for Learning (LEMCEL) University of Agriculture Abeokuta (UNAAB), Nigeria, 23rd-25th June, 2010.
- 34th Annual conference and General Meeting of the Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology, pg.134-135, River State University of Science and Technology, Port- Harcourt (Garden City). October 18-22, 2010.
- Paper Presented: Ogunrinu, M.C. and Atanda, O.O. (2010). Evaluation of the qualities of cookies baked from locally produced flour.
- 4th Annual Conference/Workshop of the Nigerian Mycotoxin Awareness and Study
- Network, National Cereal and Research Institute, plant quarantine, Moor- plantation Ibadan, Nigeria. April 6th-8th, 2009.
- Summer course in practical Biotechnology, Biotechnology Centre, University of Agriculture Abeokuta, Ogun state, On behalf of International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), 12th -18th July, 2009